The following is an e-mail we received from a good friend of ours who has a ministry very similar to ours. Christy Darlington is the director of Witnesses for Jesus and shared this story with us about a Jehovah’s Witness who came to her door and then came to Christ a few short weeks later. The email is presented as it was received.
Do you ever feel discouraged that your witnessing efforts with Jehovah’s Witnesses fall on deaf ears? If so, we hope this report from Jim, an ex-Jehovah’s Witness Christian will be an encouragement to you.
This all started about 2 months ago with a knock on my door. I opened it to see a mission field of two JW’s standing there. I listened as they gave me their rehearsed talk and did agree to take the magazine and asked them if they could come back the following Saturday. They did.
I shared with them some questions I had regarding the magazines they left. One of the magazines they left was the June Awake that dealt with Science. I asked them some questions regarding the comments against those who believe in a young earth in this magazine. We had some good discussion and I asked them if they could come back the following weekend. They said yes, and they did.
I shared more with them about the problems I was having with their old earth view and shared some facts with them regarding the use of the Hebrew word for ‘day’ in the first 11 chapters of Genesis. They started to change the topic to the Kingdom, and inside I just smiled because I knew the trap they were setting for themselves. So I asked if they could come back the following Saturday so we could discuss and study what the Bible says about the Kingdom. They were too eager to agree.
This made the 4th visit and I was pumped. They arrived on time, shared their view on the Kingdom then I asked them if they expected to see or be a part of this Kingdom. The look on their faces was classic. They asked me to explain what I meant and I calmly went through John chapter 3 were Jesus said that to even see
the Kingdom you have to born again. The older one didn’t look impressed at all, but the younger man, you would have thought he just got smacked in the face. They hurried up and left and I thought that was the end. Was I ever wrong.
The following day the younger man, Jake, came by and asked if we could talk. I was more then eager so I invited him in and he started sharing how I was the first born again person he had met who showed any kind of kindness. Trust me; I know I am not the only one, nor the best at this. He related that most people, who claim to be Christians would either slam the door in his face, try to shove the Gospel down his throat, or belittle his religion, and though he had questions and doubts about what he was being taught, he didn’t see a reason to leave since no-one was being as hateful at the Kingdom Hall.
I thanked Jake for his kind words and then asked him if there was more he wanted to talk about. There was; we discussed creation until he had to leave. His 5th visit involved us talking about being born again and morphed into a conversation on the history of the Watchtower organization and teachings they have changed over the years. We also discussed this last topic, and the prophecies of the WTBTS that have been proven false by the passage of time. I could tell he was shaken as he admitted that the leadership of the WTBTS has been proven guilty of being false prophets. He left that day and I felt that it was the last time I would see him.
He stopped by last Saturday. I didn’t expect it. We just talked and he shared the struggle he was going through. I shared with him how salvation doesn’t come through an organization but through Jesus and in Him alone. We spent about 2 hours talking about salvation, Heaven, hell and Church. He left and said he would go over the handouts I had given and would call me when he wanted to get together next. I agreed, and this morning he called. Jake arrived and I could tell he was shaken, confused, scared and yet also excited. We sat down and I asked him if he had any questions. He did and we discussed salvation some more, and I kept emphasizing, by faith alone, in Christ alone. Finally, with tears his eyes, he looked at me and I said ‘I’m ready.’ With tears in my eyes, I once again went over the Gospel with him in the following way.
1. God created us to be with Him. (Genesis 1:26 – Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, in our likeness.’) God’s desire in creating humankind was that we would live in a perfect paradise enjoying perfect fellowship with Him.
2. Our sins separate us from God (Isaiah 59:2 – But there is a problem-your sins have cut you off from God. Because of your sin, he has turned away and will not listen anymore.) The wrong things that we have done (sins) have placed a barrier between humankind and our Creator.
3. Sin cannot be removed by good deeds. (Titus 3:5-He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit)There is nothing we can do through our own efforts that can restore our broken relationship with God.
4. Paying the price for sin, Jesus died and rose again. (1Corinthians15: 3-4– For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance:that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures) Jesus came to earth and lived a perfect life, died a horrible death, and rose from the grave to pay the price for all of the sins of humankind.
5. Everyone who trusts in Him alone has eternal life. (John 6:47– I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.) By simply placing our trust in Jesus death and resurrection as our only hope of salvation, we receive the free gift of salvation.
6. Life that’s eternal means we will be with Jesus forever in heaven. (Revelation 22:5-There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.) Those who have placed their trust in Christ have forgiveness of sins and a restored relationship with God forever.
I told Jake that according to Acts 16:31 all he has to do to be saved is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. He asked if he had to repent first. I told him that he has repented. Repented from believing a works based gospel to obeying the true Gospel. I told him there was nothing more he had to do, but asked him if he would like to pray to God and share through prayer his decision and feelings. Jake let out one of the most beautiful, from the heart prayers I have heard a new convert say. After he prayed, I prayed. We talked a bit longer; he gave me his word that he would be in Church on Saturday night. He will be going through a battle now as the Borg will be fighting for him tooth and nail when he tells them he is leaving. He knows I’ll be there every step of the way and will do whatever I can to help. All I can do is praise and thank God for His love, His mercy, His grace, that makes salvation so easy to obtain for ‘whosoever will.’
WOW! Praise God for one won for the kingdom. The real KINGDOM!
Obviously, this is not a normal occurrence, but we wanted to include this letter on our site so that you can be encouraged. There is hope for the next Jehovah’s Witness who comes to your door.